Can I Appeal A Child Support Hearing?

Ensure the decision was truly in the best interest of the child

Southern California Child Support Appeals

Appellate Law Firm in Southern California

Child support rulings affect both you and your child(ren) for years to come. If you have young children, you could be providing or receiving support for over a decade. That’s why it’s crucial that the ruling in your case is as fair and based on relevant facts as possible.

Sometimes, judges will either make mistakes or issue unjust rulings. This could result from prejudicial decision-making, relying on the wrong legal principles relevant to your case, or not correctly understanding the best interests of your children. Sometimes mistakes result from incorrect court procedure. Perhaps your circumstances demand more (or less) support than the judge’s order delineated.

In cases where legal mistakes violated your rights or the rights of your children, your only option is to file a child support appeal. Call Holstrom, Block & Parke, a Professional Law Corporation, at (855) 939-9111 today for a free phone consultation.

How to Know If You Qualify for an Appeal

There are certain qualifications required of every appeal:

  • The ruling must violate your rights or your children’s rights: In legal terms, this is called being “aggrieved.”
  • The ruling must be the final judgment of the case: Temporary support orders cannot be appealed.
  • The ruling must have been filed within 180 days of the Notice of Appeal: The relevant date is the date filed by the clerk on the order entry itself.

How to Appeal a Child Support Decision

Child support appeals work much like any other type of appeal. You must turn to a qualified appellate attorney to take up your case. Appellate judges will often make their decisions based on written briefs, requiring an attorney who is familiar with the language and procedure of the appeals process. Appellate attorneys can also inform you if you do not qualify for an appeal or if you have other options available.

Your attorney will file a Notice of Appeal once the final judgment is entered in your case. At that point, your appeal process begins. Your attorney will base your appeal on the best arguments in your situation—whether the support decision complies with California statutes, is truly in the best interest of the child, or is calculated according to fair and just principles and relevant facts.