A divorce may need post-decree modifications and updates

Post-Divorce Modifications

Newport Beach Family Attorneys

Life is constantly changing. While this is no secret, it can be especially true following a divorce. A divorcee’s personal or professional life can change at the drop of a hat and post-judgement agreements that may have once been in a family’s best interest may no longer be the optimal route forward. If you have experienced a substantial change in your life, a court may allow you to modify an existing agreement or court order. However, this process can be tremendously complicated and has strict eligibility requirements.

At Holstrom, Block & Parke, a Professional Law Corporation, we are highly experienced with post-divorce modifications and our legal team includes multiple Certified Family Law Specialists. We can walk you through each step of the process to maximize the chances that a court approves the requested changes.

Parents may be able to seek modifications for agreements including:

Request a free phone consultation with our Newport Beach family law attorneys to learn if a modification may be appropriate for your family’s situation.

When Can a Court Order Be Modified?

A modification may refer to any requested change in the terms of a divorce agreement. In order for a court to approve a modification, it must be shown that a drastic change occurred which has hindered one or more parties’ ability to comply with a current agreement. Preference alone may not be enough to move a court to action. Typically, if a factor critical in the determination of the original order changes, a modification may be considered by the court. For example, if a parent loses their job and is unable to provide basic financial support for the needs of a child, a judge may allow a modification to a child custody, child support, or visitation agreement.

Common reasons for modifications can include:

  • Relocation of one parent to a location substantially far away
  • Change in the mental or physical health of a parent or child
  • A parent remarries or ends a subsequent marriage
  • A change in a parent’s ability to financially support a child
  • A child’s basic needs change

Legal Help for Post-Judgement Modifications

When disputes continue to arise after a divorce is finalized, it may be necessary to take legal action. Whether you are looking to change the terms of a spousal support or a child custody agreement, Holstrom, Block & Parke, a Professional Law Corporation, can help. We strive to help clients find family-focused and amicable solutions to disputes. However, if litigation becomes necessary, our attorneys will not hesitate to provide aggressive legal representation. If you would like to learn about your legal options our Newport Beach family attorneys can help you to decide if a modification is right for you.