How Can I Establish My Rights As A Dad?

In today’s world, the mother is not always the sole caregiver for her child – many fathers participate in raising their child – and fight to obtain their parental rights if they are not recognized as the child’s legal father.

California courts believe that children have a right to know who their parents are.

If you are an unmarried father, you have the right to file a paternity action and be legally recognized as the child’s father – giving you the right to visitation as well. As the recognized father, you also have the obligation to pay child support.

Keep in mind – unless you legally establish the paternity of your child, you have no say in his or her upbringing. The child’s mother can legally move away with the child without your consent – you don’t even have the right to visit your child.

Legal issues involving a child can be complex and emotionally charged. At this difficult time, you need the help of an attorney you can trust to handle your case with the utmost skill, compassion and professionalism.

The Riverside family law offices of Holstrom, Block & Parke is committed to improving the lives of children and their families. We push hard for efficient, positive outcomes, while doing everything possible to reach a resolution smoothly and efficiently. Our attorneys understand that this is a challenging time and believe that you deserve attentive and individualized service.

Once the relationship has been legally recognized, both parents will have the same rights as divorced parents have in terms of child custody, visitation (parenting time) and child support.

Our attorneys have extensive experience representing both unmarried mothers and unmarried fathers in these matters. Wherever your interests lie, at our firm you’ll find the strong and effective legal representation you need to forcefully assert your rights, because we understand the bond that exists between a child and a father and ever be deprived of sharing their love with the miracle they help create.

Professional Legal Help

Our attorneys are waiting to help you

Our Locations

*We do not receive postal correspondence at this address. Please send any desired material to our Corona office for review and distribution.


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.