Domestic Violence: When Men Are The Victims

No one should have to put up with violence or abuse. Domestic violence or abuse can happen to anyone – anywhere.

Domestic violence doesn’t always refer to a woman as the victim. Even though 96 percent of the cases apply to women, the other 4 percent involves women committing domestic abuse against a man.

Statistics from the National Violence Against Women Prevention Research Center state that more than 800,000 men are victims of domestic violence every year – about half the rate of women. This means that there is a male victim of domestic violence every 37.8 seconds.

Even though there are many programs out there to help women, there are few for men to attend. This is strange because men are abused in the same manner as women: emotionally, verbally, financially, and even physically.

Most of the time abuse works its way into the relationship. A first time meeting may show the abuser to be charming, complimentary, and generous. However, over time, he or she may turn threatening, use abusive language, deliberately frighten the abused, and increase his or her aggressive attempts of control.

If abuse or violence is part of your everyday life, you don’t have to put up with it. Talk to a relative, friend, or professional counselor. In an emergency, call the police. In addition, you can call the National Domestic Violence Helpline at 1-800-799-SAFE for help.

If you are a man being abused by a woman, don’t be embarrassed to seek legal help. Don’t wait; if you need someone to help you have a voice, and understand how to obtain a Temporary Protective Order consider the Riverside Family Law attorney from Holstrom, Block & Parke. One of our attorneys can walk you through the process of getting permanent or long-term protection.

Even though the process may be frightening and stressful,

About Dayn Holstrom

Dayn Holstrom is a hard working, compassionate problem solver who welcomes the opportunity to serve you in any way he can. His maximum availability to your questions and concerns begins with your free initial consultation. He is well-seasoned in all matters related to family law and a skilled negotiator and litigator.

Professional Legal Help

Our attorneys are waiting to help you

Our Locations

*We do not receive postal correspondence at this address. Please send any desired material to our Corona office for review and distribution.


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.