When Your Child Has An "Absent Father"

How do you handle the situation when your child asks where his or her daddy is? What do you say when your child’s father does not want to be part of the family? How can you answer your child’s questions?

Tell your child the truth but no more than they need to know at the time. You could say that he was so young and not ready to be a father. Maybe he lived too far to get involved. Or, he could have needed time to deal with issues on his own. These reasons do not justify his choices; they simply tell your child that his decision had nothing to do with the child.

Try to always remain positive. Sometimes, it’s hard, but a positive and upbeat attitude will get you through a lot. Tell your child over and over again that you love him or her and always will – no matter what they do or what life brings to them. Be patient.

Finally, it is important to share any good memories you have with your child about his or her father. Try not to bad-mouth him – don’t try to turn your child against his or her father. You never know – he could resolve his issues and show up down the road.

You cannot change the fact that your child’s father is not in the picture, but you can always assure your child of the love you have for him or her and that you are not going anywhere – you will always be there for your child.

There are resources, if you have questions about parental rights and custody matter when dealing with an absent father, or maybe you want to get child support, the law offices of Holstrom, Block & Parke Family Law & divorce attorneys can help answer all your questions. We understand the challenges that come with being a single parent, speak to one of our attorneys and get guidance you need, we will be there every step of the way.

Professional Legal Help

Our attorneys are waiting to help you

Our Locations

*We do not receive postal correspondence at this address. Please send any desired material to our Corona office for review and distribution.


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.